FUMOBRANCO
PHASE II
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow


28/11/2006

MACAU.XMAS.2005_AN OPEN LETTER TO MC.

Synopsis: Macau.Xmas.2005 is an experimental short film that documents the obstacles and challenges most Macanese endure when developing a career in the creative industry. In the one-month time before the Christmas month of 2005, Mia, the main character, encounters a miracle that forever changes her life.

Yesterday, I attended the screening of MACAU.XMAS.2005, at the Macau Cultural Centre. The theater was unexpectedly crowded. During the film, I felt what I seldom feel when watching movies. I felt compassion towards the main character, Mia, and identified with her issues, mostly due to the fact that I am too, I think, a creative person who, in my case, gave in to the necessities of life. But I'm still struggling to become what I always wished to be, in other words, to write good scripts and direct good movies (acting a little bit as well). The film made me believe that I can still pursuit my dreams no matter what.

I loved the film as, I am sure, the audience loved it too. And I treasured the experience of sharing a moment of creativity and originality, two things that I really miss since I came to Macau, three years ago. I tough artists like yourselves were gone to foreign countries or did not exist here. It is therefore up to you to make people experience different ideas and make them think about the world around them. Help them discuss issues and give opinions and regain the awareness lost to the settled Macau that we all know.

The original score and theme music, as well as the editing, are extremely well crafted for this kind of project. The music was a great asset to the story, from the incidental to the main theme “Miracle”, it gave the depth that we sought to achieve, as an audience, and actually helped translating the message of the story into feelings that, at some point, made me sob.

Although the movie was shot on video, the picture was incredibly well edited and the color and texture made it original and offered a fresh look at Macau. I saw, trough the eyes and thoughts of the characters, together with the wonderful feel of the images and music, a nostalgic and rather mundane Macau, a city of lights, darkness and sadness where artists have it the hard way. For sure, this Macau I never saw before and I am glad to have seen it. After all, this is not a movie that goes and tells you to dislike Macau but quite the opposite, tells you that this land is worth fighting for but it requires you to make your own opportunities and make it happen.

Lastly I am sorry I did not attend the Q&A session forcefully removing myself to take care of personal matters. I am not clearly in the movie, only in the behind the scenes footage, but during the brief period I spent with all of you, I felt what you all felt, the spirit of Christmas future and things to come.

Thank you.

Etiquetas: , ,


Stop the bullying

 

ECKHART TOLLE - LIVE SPEECHES

my MOVIE LIST

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Powered by Blogger

Google